Click here to download a list of event descriptions, or select an event from the list below.
|Event Name||Grades||Team Size|
|Barge Building||2||1-2 students|
|Circuit Wizardry||4-5||1-3 students|
|Feathered Friends||4-5||1-2 students|
|Geology Rocks!||2-4||1-2 students|
|Gravity Racer||2-3||1-3 students|
|Hang Time||3-5||1-4 students|
|Map Reading||2-3||1-2 students|
|Mystery Architecture||2-5||1-2 students|
|On Target||2-5||1-3 students|
|Pasta Bridges||2-3||1-2 students|
|Photon Phun||2-5||2-3 students|
|Roots, Shoots, and Fruits||2-3||1-2 students|
|The Human Machine||2-3||1-3 students|
|The Plot Thickens!||4-5||1-3 students|
|To Infinity and Beyond||2-5||1-2 students|
|What Went By||2-3||1-2 students|
|Write It, Build It||4-5||2-4 students|
Event related changes for 2020
- Estimania is only for Grades 2 & 3.
- Feathered Friends is only for Grades 4 & 5.
- Geology Rocks! is for Grades 2, 3 & 4.
- iCompute has been expanded to include all grades.
- Map Reading is only for Grades 2 & 3.
- The Human Machine* is a new event for Grades 2 & 3, replacing ‘No Bones About It’. The Human Machine will focus on a different organ system every year. For 2020, the focus is on the musculoskeletal system (so, save the skeleton!).
- The Plot Thickens!* is a new event for Grades 4 & 5. Students will be asked to interpret and create visualizations of data.
- Roots, Shoots, and Fruits* is a new event replacing ‘In Bloom’ with a fresh, updated, interactive experience for Grades 2 & 3.
- What Went By* marks the return of a popular event involving the identification and description of animals of Michigan in a story-based hike through our local ecosystems.
- Student Eligibility: In order to broaden opportunities for students to compete and for schools to fill out teams, students may now compete in an event a grade level higher than their academic grade in school. The student may only participate in the event once – in other words they cannot participate in two grade levels for the same event. For example, a 3rd grader competing on the 4th grade Photon Phun team cannot also participate on the 3rd grade Photon Phun team. Failure to follow this rule will result in a disqualification of both teams. See this page for more information.
* = new event
Click here for a list of maximum team sizes for each event.